Monday 28 May 2007

Book manuscript


Well, I am about to try and get this blog thing happening and will take you through my first publishing experience with a major publishing house as opposed to my first two self published ventures. These two were very successful so I am still trying to convince myself I am doing the right thing here by signing my life to a publisher and losing perhaps some control now but, anyway, here goes.....


How did I start......


Well when it was suggested to me that this (a technique book on Colourque) is what I needed to do, I was offered a deal with a contact I already had in the US. We discussed and brainstormed for nearly 12mths before he decided it wasnt for him and it would be much better for me to go with a major craft publishing house. Now the process had to start all over again.....


the first step is to find publishers you like and attempt to get their contract details and submission guidelines before submitting a manuscript for proposal...

Although I had many of their guidelines it wasnt really easy to find their contract offerings. Because I had the printed pack from AQS (American Quilters Society) and had met Helen Squires, their sales and marketing manager and very experienced and published quilter the year before, I went with what I knew best and started there. Also, they allow online submissions which actually lessened the submission process somewhat. Dont get me wrong though, the submission basically needs to be the whole book already done plus information about me and how I would sell and market the book - a lot of work.....


So, I submitted online and low and behold, within 3 days I had an acceptance!!! Now, I was expecting two years and many submissions later before I had any response, guess it was just good timing!! So the first step was not so hard afterall..... here is a pic of the main project I had submitted for the book with my working title of 'The Art of Colourque' (which by the way is now not the working title but more about that later)... I will write you more soon....hugs, Helen

BTW this is 'Blessed Baltimore' designed, Colourque'd(R) and stitched by myself and beautifully machine quilted by Tracey Browning (my sister) of Constantine Quilts. It recently won first prize two person innovative professional at the Tas quilt Guild exhibition and 1st prize wall quilt at the HMQS (Home Machine Quilters Show) Salt Lake City Utah.

No comments: